How to Make Cute Packaging Labels | Step by Step Video Tutorial

Sunday, December 15, 2013

^^these were made last week for my photoshoot guests!^^

Let me first preface this post by saying I have ZERO graphic design training or skills.  Zip, Zilch, Zero.  I know there is a vast blogging community that specializes in this sort of thing and I'm probably embarrassing myself with this post but I get so many questions about how to make cute labels that I thought I would share my method for all of us non-desgin savvy types that just want to create pretty, personalized packages.  I don't use any design software, just Pages for Mac (you can do a lot of the same things on Word).  I have never followed any tutorials, I'm more of a learn as you go kinda gal.  I have tried emailing step by step instructions to people before and it doesn't seem to be all that helpful, so I'm hoping a video might do the trick.  Let me know if you try.

Step 1: Find Inspiration.  It is so much easier to "copy" another label that you love than try to create your own from scratch.  I don't go for an exact duplicate, but rather something with the same feel.  Take note of how different fonts and illustrations are combined, how letters are spaced, how different sized fonts are used, etc.

^^ For example:  The feel of this inspiration label is homemade + rustic (my favorite combination, for the record.). They use two fonts that both look handwritten and a simple sprig graphic.^^


Step 2:  Search for fonts.  My favorite font website is dafont.com.  There is also a load of inspiration + links for free fonts via Pinterest.  Learn how to download and install a font on your computer.  Macs make this a super simple process.  Click and drag to your font folder and you are set.  Below is a list of the fonts I used in the video tutorial.  Here is a link to the graphics I used.

Step 3: Design! Play around with your text.  Watch my video below to see how I do it.  The more you do it, the easier it gets and the better your labels get too.  I typically print on kraft, white or off white cardstock.  Occasionally, I'll use adhesive backed sheets like I did here for class treats.


Here is the video.  That I filmed myself.  On my phone.  While typing. You may feel a little dizzy after watching. There are a few glitches (I may say "look for the round circle" at one point, yeah, brilliant tutorial). You get the idea.  It ain't pretty, but hopefully it's helpful!  Happy label making!

Label Making from tessa on Vimeo.

(sources for supplies in the first image: kraft boxes from Everyday Occasions, ribbon from Container Store)

25 comments:

  1. Thank you!! Loved watching this and hearing you ;) So fun. Great tips. So excited to see your beautiful abode in MidWest Living next Christmas as well. Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! LOVE how you used my graphics! they look so lovely on labels! Thanks for using them & great tutorial! :)

    Love, Hannah from We lived Happily Ever After

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hannah! I'm so glad I found them + you via Pinterest. Beautiful designs!! :) Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  3. Tessa,

    I'm with you on the zip zilch zero skills.... But I do plan to try your tutorial. I do have one question though, do you use a die cutter/punch to cut the square/circle or is that all by hand? If die cutter/punch, what size do you typical use? And thanks for doing the tutorial - I couldn't even have done that.....

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. by hand. but I'm sure you could use a die cutter or craft punch too, I just don't have any. :)

      Delete
  4. Thank you for the great tutorial! Love your blog! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the tutorial! Can't wait to try it out…. where did you get the adorable gift box you used for the bars??
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The boxes are from Everyday Occasions. Thank you! I added a link at the end of the post.

      Delete
  6. Thanks so much for the tutorial! Can't wait to try it out. Where did you get the adorable gift box you used for your bars? It's perfect!
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  7. In love with everything about your goodie package! And by the way, it takes a good eye to notice the details of designs you like and talent to make it your own. I'm a totally self-taught designer...started by doing just what you're doing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tessa, this is incredibly helpful. I think since you're not a graphic designer, you explained this in a way that us, "mere mortals," could understand! I can't wait to try out your method. What type of printer do you use? Thanks again and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is really wonderful, Tessa. Thank you! May I ask, what printer you use? Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved your tutorial! Thanks for the links to the fonts and graphics. I think I will try to make some gift tags now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great tips, great tutorial. I'll never be able to do this, but it was fun to watch. Your labels are adorable!!
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very helpful, Tessa! Can't wait to try this! Not particularly tech savvy over here, especially when it comes to using my new Mac (have always had PC). Hopefully I can figure out what you mean by dragging new fonts to my Fonts folder. If I figure that out, then I could easily go overboard on the adding of new fonts!!! Do you drag the graphics there as well? I could see them in your Fonts pull down on the video. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heather, Look for an online tutorial on how to download new fonts on a Mac. I put my Font folder on my desktop b/c I use it so much, that way I can just drag the new font once it is downloaded. As for the graphics, you'll need to download those too and then open the file. Once the graphic file is open you'll be able to click and drag into Pages. Good luck!

      Delete
  13. Can't wait to try this! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks so much...I've already tried out your methods and have really enjoyed the results! Keep up the wonderful posts, Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks so much...I've already tried out your methods and have really enjoyed the results! Keep up the wonderful posts, Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much for your wonderful tutorial! I love your labels...you are so creative! I also have a mac and was wondering what kind of label sheets you use to print the labels? Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Leah, I just print the labels on card stock and then cut them out by hand. If I want them with adhesive (like the snowman label above) then I print on solid, white, adhesive backed sheets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tessa! Wishing you and your family a happy new year!

      Delete
  18. Thank you so much for the video! I made labels for a birthday gift today using your tips.

    ReplyDelete

NINE + SIXTEEN All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger