A Whole Lot of Vacation Pictures | Boston + Cape Cod Summer 2013

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

{verrrry windswept + salty skinned}

We just returned from almost two weeks away and I have LOTS of pictures to share and catching up to do!  My plan was to break up our trip into several blog posts but each time I tried it felt daunting so I put it off.  Instead I'm just going to pile all the photos on you at once.  If you follow me on instagram, you likely have already had your fill of our vacation adventures, but I want to capture more details on the blog for our own memories.  If you want to tag along too, you are more than welcome!




We started out spending several days in Boston before heading to the Cape.  The weather was gray and chilly, which was perfect for exploring the city.  We ate incredible food, walked many miles and acted like tourists.  We lunched in Beacon Hill, had dinner in the North End, rode the Swan Boats in the Public Garden and re-enatced the Boston Tea Party!  I barely slept a wink for three nights because I shared a queen size bed with Charlie and I'm pretty sure he practices Taekwondo in his sleep.

On Saturday, the clouds cleared and Jimmy and Andrew returned to the hotel with a convertible rental car {surprise!!} for our drive down to Brewster.  Andrew was very jealous that Jimmy and I enjoyed one without him on our trip in the spring.  Renting one for the week was his only vacation request, so we obliged.  How we managed to squeeze all our luggage, stroller and bags into that tiny trunk I have no idea.  What one can accomplish when fueled by sheer determination!     



Our week in Cape Cod was spectacular! No humidity and sun every day {very unusual for our Cape Cod vacations}, even if a few mornings started out foggy.  It was the BEST vacation we've ever had as a family.  Better than Disney!  And the first time I've ever returned from a trip with children feeling relaxed and rested.  Maybe we've turned a corner with their ages?  Maybe iPads are heaven sent?  Maybe we were just in a familiar place and it felt so good to be back. Whatever it was, they were such wonderful travel companions -- easy going, happy and flexible.  Breakfast at 11:00 AM? Sure!! Stay on the beach till the sun sets?  Why not!! Let Mom and Dad sleep in?  Of course! {ok, maybe that last one only happened once or twice...} Regardless, we didn't want it to end.

{a bay side beach close to our rental home}

{his vacation face}


Our mornings were slow and lazy and most afternoons and evenings were spent at the beach.  I'm pretty sure Charlie was meant to live by the sea.   He never wanted to leave.  He could spend hours looking for shells, playing in the sand, out running waves, or flying a kite with his brother.  We drove with the top down on our car all week {my hair was in a constant state of disarray, but I didn't mind!}    Andrew also spent 3 days at The Brewster Day Camp and absolutely loved it.  He likes to keep busy and it was nice to be around children his own age too.  


{Charlie had $10 to spend on a souvenir.  He bought a cap gun.  Shocker.}

We enjoyed a day trip to Martha's Vineyard.  I oooooed and ahhhhhed over the homes in Edgartown.  We explored some beautiful shops, lunched on the harbor and cruised around the island in a shiny red Jeep.  We got a little lost trying to find the Alpaca Farm for Charlie, but he was ok with it.  Jimmy and I vacationed on MV about 14 years ago and explored every inch, so we thought we were above using maps and navigation this time around -- I guess we didn't remember the island as well as we thought. :)



 





We stayed in a very old "salt-box" style Cape home that is owned by friends of my parents.  The home is cozy and a little rustic. All showers were taken outside, there are fans instead of air-conditioning, and the ceilings in the boy's upstairs rooms can't be more than 6 ft high.   But the light is beautiful,  the car wheels crunch on the gravel driveway, the furnishings are cozy, it has that great old house smell {not musty, just old},  plus the garden is filled with flowers that I am free to clip at will.  We hung our laundry outside on a clothes line with old wooden pins and spent time cuddled on the sun porch in the mornings in our PJs.  Our days ended reading a 1950's Golden Book about the Seashore to Charlie that he picked out from the General Store on our first night.  And the TV was never turned on. Ever.



{vacation face again!}
{My favorite picture of me with my boys from this trip.  it's almost too personal to share on the blog but I'm going to anyway. Excuse my lack of make-up.  We'd all just gotten up.}
{I made different arrangements for each room. Sigh.}

My absolute favorite time of day to be on the beach is from 5-7:30.  The crowds are gone. There is that magical golden light that makes everyone and everything look extra beautiful.  We had several picnic dinners on the beach.  I'd like to pretend I packed beautiful baskets of food, but it was usually just a brown Trader Joe's bag with a bottle of wine and plastic cups and the food came from the beach snack shack, a very good beach snack shack, but a snack shack just the same {let's just say they are known for their onion rings}.  We also became professional kite fliers...

   {Charlie and Daddy flying}
{Mama flying}
{Andrew flying. With his foot. Show-off.}

It was really a special trip, one that is right at the tippy top for me.  The kind of vacation you always hope to have but aren't quite sure if they really exist.  I have a feeling it will be the one we reminisce about when they are older and grown.  The one we try to recreate but aren't ever really able to.  Everyone has one of those, don't they?  I know I do.  It was the trip I took with my family when I was about Andrew's age.  And it happened to be in Cape Cod too.  It is the one vacation I will always remember in a little more vivid detail than all the others, the one that was filled with the happiest stretch of days with my parents and my brother.  I think this past one will be that for Andrew and Charlie too.

And if ALL these pictures weren't enough.  We made a little film too.  {Can you say vacation documentation overkill?  Haha!  But I'm so happy to have these memories preserved to look back on in the years ahead.  It helps to freeze time.  Even if just a little bit.  Thanks for looking and letting me {over}share!


47 comments:

  1. Oh, Tessa, your vacation looks idyllic. So glad you had such a fabulous time. Maybe that part of the country is calling to you to live there? I know for me there's no better vacation than one spent at the water. It's so relaxing.

    I love the photo of you and the two boys - precious! You're one of those women who looks fantastic with no make-up! Thanks for sharing your photos and great video with us.
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's calling me for sure! we would love to move back to MA. maybe, one day. thanks!! xo

      Delete
  2. Being from New Jersey, my husband has a hard time understanding the allure of vacations at the Cape, but you captured it perfectly. I have so many memories of everything you described - the crunchy gravel driveways, outdoor showers, dinner at the beach amongst the dunes, and just a general sense of ease and relaxation. (Also, a week at Brewster Day Camp was a right of passage for every seventh grader in my town!) Beautiful words and pictures - so glad you had such a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful vacation and beautiful family!!! Thanks for sharing! I can't wait to explore the cape for the first time with my own family... just waiting for my daughter's ballet intensive to finish. :) Not much longer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you had a wonderful vacation and alot of memmories made ! Have a wonderful day and week !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great capture of your week. Cape cod sure is a special place. Is the home listed on home away or cyber rentals?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you. i'm afraid the home is not listed. we were the only non-family renters this summer. :)

      Delete
  6. Great capture of your vacation. Cape cod sure is a special place! Is the home listed on home away or cyber rentals?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great capture of your week. Cape cod sure is a special place. Is the home listed on home away or cyber rentals?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your vacation looked so magical on IG and maybe even more so here. And, really, you are impossibly adorable. I don't think I have ever looked that lovely right after waking :) I'm not in the vacation sweet spot yet but I can't wait to get there after seeing all your fun adventure photos! And please tell me I can buy that hat somewhere - the one with the striped band that you're wearing sitting with your arm around Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, jennifer! i too love that fedora! i love it even more so b/c andrew saw it in the store as we were passing by and said, "hey, mom, that hat would look cute on you!" :) it turned out to be a lifesaver with the car we rented!! i bought it from Holiday on Charles St. in Boston. they had a small pile of them two week ago. i bet you could call and get them to ship!! http://www.holidayboutique.net/

      Delete
  9. This looks like an absolute dream!! And that picture of you and the boys just warms my heart. So glad you shared it with us. I'm adding Cape Cod to my "must visit" list rightthisminute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks like an absolute dream!! And that picture of you and the boys just warms my heart. So glad you shared it with us. I'm adding Cape Cod to my "must visit" list right.this.minute.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful picture of you with your boys!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your vacation looks heavenly -- you are making me want to go to the Cape on a future vacation.

    PS - Love the video. Absolutely classic.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your vacation looks heavenly -- you have made me put the Cape on our list of future vacation spots.

    PS -- Love the video. Absolutely classic.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness! Love everything about this! Especially love that you used Old Crowe Medicine Show's version of Rock Me. Really enjoyed following your trip on insta. The picture of you & the boys is perfect ;).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, sweets! music credit should be given to jimmy! he likes helping with song selection! :)

      Delete
  15. Tessa,
    Your blog inspires me to live a life well lived. You focus on the real moments in life worth cherishing and your vacation captures that beautifully. You don't blog as often but I enjoy every post, old or new. If you would have the time to send me the information on the home you stayed at that would be much appreciated ckarlgaard@live.com. My husband and I are planning a trip next year for our 5th anniversary.
    Chelsea

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tessa,
    Your blog inspires me to live a life well lived. You focus on the real moments in life worth cherishing and your vacation captures that beautifully. You don't blog as often but I enjoy every post, old or new. If you would have the time to send me the information on the home you stayed at that would be much appreciated ckarlgaard@live.com. My husband and I are planning a trip next year for our 5th anniversary.
    Chelsea

    ReplyDelete
  17. Tessa,
    Your blog inspires me to live a life well lived. Your vacation beautifully captures the passion you have in your family and focusing on what really matters in life. Although you don't post as often, I enjoy every post old or new; no matter how many times I read or reread them. If you have the time, would you be so kind to send me the information on the home you stayed at in the cape? My husband and I are planning a trip for our 5th anniversary next year.
    Thanks again,
    Chelsea
    ckarlgaard@live.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love all the pictures! You don't ever have to apologize for that. Your vacation does seem truly magical and one for the history books. You all look so peaceful, relaxed, and like you're having a great time - not an easy feat for a family of 4! You've made me want to take a trip to the east coast now!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds fantastic!!! I loved seeing all your pictures. I want to go visit there. My boys are a bit too small now but one day maybe they will love it too! Thanks for always sharing. You are a wonderful and blessed mother!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow - I just love that video!! Looks like a wonderful time. I can only wish to capture memories/videos like this when I have my family! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cutie pie! I love your video and ALL the photos, but especially the one of your with your boys. {The one you said was almost too personal.} It's perfect. Oh, and I like your heart tee, too. Where to find? Or are you like me and it's years old? Wink! xoxo!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You know it's been a great family vacation when the urge to turn on the television never strikes. Beautiful pictures of your beautiful family. Thanks for sharing these with the rest of us!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sounds like a glorious vacation. :) What wonderful memories you'll have forever. I think the picture of you and your boys says it all. It speaks peace and contentment. :) Thanks for sharing your pictures. Cape Cod is definitely on my list of places I would love to visit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your post and photos just brought tears to my eyes-probaboly not the reaction you were expecting-but in a very good way....My husband and I went to the Cape, for the first time since I was a little girl, last Fall for our Babymoon and fell in love! He is from Brittany, France and this is the closest thing to "home". We haven't stopped talking since then about going back when our boys get a little older (currently 3 and 8 months) to rent a home for a week and explore. We know they'd absolutely love it just as much as we do! Right now vacations are just so much hard work, but seeing your sweet photos makes me realize and long for the many trips to come that will be all that we have imagined they will be. Thank you for the inspiration and for being a mom of 2 sweet lil boys too, they are just the best :-) For now, it's vacation at Nana and Pops in Amelia Island, which isn't so bad in itself!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for sharing your vacation pictures. My husband and I traveled to the Boston area several times before our children were born and we loved it. I've always wanted to return as a family. Thanks for giving us inspiration. BTW-your family is gorgeous and your pictures reflect your love.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Best Video Ever! Don't skip it like I did the first time. It will leave a smile on your face.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful memories captured. Harry is 2.5 and this trip to Australia we just did made me feel like we are so close to the nirvana of family vacations in terms of age.....The kids were so good but it is still work. Beautiful photos and the video almost made me cry. Maddie watched with me and loved the shot of your son sleeping in the car. My favorite photo is the morning one of you and your boys! You definitely captured the magic of your vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Perfection! I llove pictures and the video is just so precious! I love that you are making and documenting these moments for your family! So special! You looked beautiful in the pic with your boys... I I think you look like Jennifer Aniston in it :) loves the details in your writing too.... The clothespins, the flowers in every room and the weather all those things that might be forgotten down the road! ....I hope to take my kids to the Cape one Summer very soon.... It's such a special place! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Gorgeous pictures as always! Your favorite picture of you and your boys is too perfect for words. Such an effortless beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Precious video! Looks like a beautiful vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a beautiful vacation! It looks like you made some forever memories =)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your vacation looks wonderful!!! Love all your photos, but my favorite is your video!! So fun!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a dream vacation! I would love to travel there (when baby girl gets a little older) Looks heavenly!!! I absolutely LOVE LOVE the morning picture of you and the boys, your complexion is gorgeous. Can't wait to read more :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love all your photos! Y'all are seriously adorable. Now I really want to take my boys to Boston. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Such a great post! Memories to last a lifetime. Especially loved the precious video! xo

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thank you for sharing these gorgeous photos! Cape Cod/Nantucket was my last girls trip with my mom before she passed away 18 mos ago. We talked about bringing the whole family back the following summer, which of course didn't happen, but your photos inspire me to make that trip happen in her honor. Loved following on IG!

    ReplyDelete
  37. How did you edit the video? Did you use an app? Loved it, and want to do the same!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Amy, Thank you! I edited the movie using iMovie on my Mac. Afterwards,I applied a filter in Vimeo. My eldest likes making films so I've learned a few tricks from him. There is a small learning curve with iMovie but once you get the hang of it, it's pretty fast and simple! Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Looks like you had a really great trip! Your pictures are great! Your sons are adorable and everyone looks so happy! I am looking into Cape Cod vacation rentals now and planning to book one for my next vacation in the upcoming months. If your photographs are any indication, we're in for a really fun vacation!

    ReplyDelete

NINE + SIXTEEN All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger