Fresh Picked Strawberry Recipes

Tuesday, June 11, 2013


Last week was only the second time I've gone strawberry picking.  My first time yielded slightly disastrous results... I attempted jam - it didn't thicken, I pitched tons of berries because we didn't eat them fast enough and they turned to over ripe mush.  So this time, I wanted to make sure I used up as many as I could, as quickly as I could, and froze the rest.  The results were much better!

Saturday morning I made a scrumptious and very easy strawberry crumble that was devoured in no time.  It was incredible warm, alone or over vanilla ice cream with a pinch of fresh mint. It was also perfectly delicious at room temperature.  Jimmy and I just left a fork in the dish and nibbled every time we walked by it.  I figured we kiss each other enough so sharing a fork for a day isn't totally disgusting, right?  Ok, maybe a bit.



Fresh Strawberry Crisp
3 cups fresh berries, frozen
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup + 3/4 cup flour, divided
1 TBS fresh lemon juice
3/4 cup old fashioned oats
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
7 TBS chilled butter, diced

Preheat oven to 375.  Combine frozen berries. 1/4 cup sugar. 1/4 cup flour and lemon juice in a large bowl; toss to blend well.  Transfer to a buttered 9 inch pie dish.  Combine remaining 3/4 flour, oats, brown sugar, spices and salt in a medium bowl.  Add butter; mix with pastry blender or fingertips, until topping holds together in moist clumps.  Sprinkle over berry mixture.  Bake until berry mixture bubbles thickly and topping is golden brown, about 1 hour.  Let stand 15 minutes.  Serve warm or at room temperature.

(Note: I washed and dried my berries and popped them in the freezer overnight in a ziplock bag.  They were very ripe so I though by keeping them frozen to start they would help them hold their shape better.  Also, I kept my berries whole b/c they were on the smaller side.  If using very large berries, I would suggest cutting them in half.)


With my remaining berries, I made Ina's Easy Strawberry Jam.  Since I'm the only jam eater in the house, I kept a little for me and gave away the rest.  The recipe made enough for 3 half pint jars and will keep in the fridge for 2 weeks.   I had fun making little labels to put on the jars.


The problem was... I made the labels before I bought the jars and they were a bit too big for the tops.  They would have been perfect on a full size canning jar.  I also love these French canning jars from Sur La Table.  Next time!



I get a lot of questions about designing + printing labels.  They are much easier than you think but it takes a bit of tinkering with the printer.  I don't use graphic design software, just store bought labels (Paper Source in this case) and Pages (word processing software for Mac).  The three fonts I used to create these are: Soymilk, KR Fruitsy, The Skinny.  All can be downloaded from dafont.com.  The templates for the labels can be downloaded from Paper Source.  I also love the round kraft labels from Garnish.  They are probably my favorite to use on food gifts. Both strawberry recipes were big hits and will be made again! Enjoy!!

{the secret ingredient!}


7 comments:

  1. I can't wait to try your strawberry crisp tonight:) it looks wonderful. Also will you tell me what pattern your silverware is? I love it and we are in the market for some new stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! The jam looks amazing but I'm so happy you shared the paper sources, seems easier than I thought;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gee Tessa, I wish I lived close by so I could be a lucky recipient of your homemade jam! It looks yummy, and everything's better with some Grand Marnier in it, right? I'm not a jam maker, but I intend to give it a shot one day. Maybe I'll use this recipe. I like things with "easy" in the name.

    Strawberry picking is at the top of my list of things to do in the spring. We make a habit of picking gallons of berries each year. I freeze most of them and we use them to blend up breakfast smoothies year round.
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm...the strawberry crisp look delish! All the Boston-area strawberry festivals are coming up the next couple weeks. We'll be on the Cape next week so I'm hoping to find something strawberry-centered down there to go celebrate the scrumptious harvest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tessa everything looks great ! After seeing your Instagram pictures I started craving strawberries so if you notice on my post this morning I went by the patch ! Have a wonderful week

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my! Just viewing the images makes me crave for it right this very instance! Another strawberry recipe would definitely make me jump for joy! Whew! I really can’t wait to try this out, especially the strawberry pie and jam! Simply mouth-watering and this is truly to die for! Thanks for sharing!

    Please visit My Webblog: Professional Doctorate

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now take that strawberry jam and make that strawberry vinaigrette I just blogged about!

    ReplyDelete

NINE + SIXTEEN All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger