Recipe | Pumpkin Chocolate Waffles

Saturday, November 10, 2012


Gooooood morning!  I'm popping in to share a quick recipe.  I know, I know, you want to see kitchen pictures, not the food I'm making in it.  I promise they are coming.  Eventually. :)  This recipe has been sitting in my "to try" pile for a few weeks.  I happened to have a small ramekin of pumpkin puree in the fridge left over from the pumpkin bars I made earlier in the week and it was just begging to be used this morning.  These waffles were a huge hit with my kiddos.  The generous dollop of fresh whipped cream certainly didn't hurt the satisfaction rating.  Is this really breakfast or dessert? Ha! Regardless, I had to blog it for fear I'd misplace the recipe and I wanted to blog it early in the weekend so you'd have a chance to make it too.  Do it soon... For breakfast or dessert!


Pumpkin Chocolate Waffles
1 1/2 cups flour
3 TBS sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp kosher salt
2/3 cup shaken buttermilk
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1 large egg
1 TBS canola oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup chocolate chips
garnish: whip cream, maple syrup, ground chocolate
{recipe adapted from Coastal Living, October 2012}

1. Stir together first 6 ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk together buttermilk and next 4 ingredients in a medium bowl. Stir buttermilk mixture in flour mixture. Stir in chocolate.  Batter will be THICK. I was worried about this, but it's fine!


2. Preheat waffle iron, ladle about 1/3 cup {or more in my case} batter onto hot iron, spreading it close to the edges with a rubber spatula.  I did not spray my iron with cooking spray because I never do when making waffles and they don't stick, but if you normally spray yours, you should for these as well. Cook 3-4 min till waffle is golden and steaming stops.  Garnish.  

If you don't have a waffle iron, I bet these would make fabulous pancakes. I'd thin the batter slightly with a little milk if you try this.  Like I do with my buttermilk pancakes


We topped ours with whipped cream, sweetened with a tablespoon of powdered sugar and a tsp of vanilla and then sprinkled on a little ground chocolate.  Syrup would have been divine but it seemed almost too decadent.  Whip cream, fine, whip cream and syrup however, too much. I laugh at myself and my imposed limits.  Whom am I kidding? I totally wanted a little syrup on there. I might have even opened the pantry and had the bottle in hand, then quickly reconsidered and closed the door.  So go ahead, treat yourself.  Then go for a long walk! :) Followed by a nap! Have a happy weekend!



6 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! I have never tried chocolate and pumpkin together, but chocolate makes everything better. Will have to try this during our Thanksgiving holidays...will be perfect!
    And YES we want to see the kitchen!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to try this recipe, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I am dying to see your kitchen but I'm happy for the pumpkin recipe. I, too, have leftover pumpkin in my fridge that is begging to be used. I think we'll try this tomorrow! :) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great tessa! Now i have to talk my wife into making this for Sunday breakfest. Have a great rest of the weekend

    ReplyDelete
  5. Made them this morning. Yum, yum, yummies! (Your Mum)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that looks delicious!!! I am so jealous of your cooking abilities...I'm not terrible, but I just never make time to try. I have saved so many of the recipes that you have posted. I've got to take time to make them!!!! Thank you so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

NINE + SIXTEEN All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger